Sunday, January 18, 2009

Labradorite


While surfing the web, I came across some very good information about one of my favorite stones, labradorite. If you like this stone like I do, you may be interested in reading this.


"The most evident feature used to identify labradorite is the labradorescence. Labradorescence is the color display resulting from lamellar intergrowths inside the crystal. These intergrowths result from compatible chemistries at high temperatures becoming incompatible at lower temperatures and thus a separating and layering of these two phases. The resulting color effect happens because a ray of light enters a layer and is refracted back and forth by deeper layers. This refracted ray is slowed by the extra travel through the layers and mixes with other rays to produce a light ray coming out that has a different wavelength than when it went in. The wavelength could correspond to the wavelength of a particular color, such as blue. The effect depends on the thickness and orientation of the layers.


Labradorite derives its name from the peninsula of Labrador in Newfoundland, Canada, one of the places where it is found. This is a stone that often shows a play of colors which may include white, gray, green, bluish, reddish or yellow. In addition labradorite may be colorless."

Copyright - © 2006 Ganpati Jewels, 1046, sitaram ji ki gali, johari bazaar, jaipur, India. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

IzzyGumbo said...

I love Labradorite! Your items are just beautiful and yes, I hope you don't mind that I included your link to my site. I'm still new to the Etsy team and am adding people that I find in the group or group forums to help not only support their links but also mine. I normally send off a hello and a note, but I must have missed doing that with you first and I'm sorry for the surprise link, again, I hope you don't mind it? Please let me know if so. Many thanks! And have a wonderful day otherwise, my friend. :)
Susan.