Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Visit to the Gem and Mineral Museum

While I have been away from blogging, I have been on many fun outdoor adventures these last few months. One of these trips was to a local Gem and Mineral Museum.   This place has been around forever, and so they have quite an extensive collection of gems and minerals, large and small.

 I am truly amazed at what Mother Nature has created. Awestruck. This is a small sampling of what Chapman's Museum has on display.

I believe this is calcite.

These next 2 are just incredible crystal formations.


Amethyst.

Malacite.  I find this an amazing stone formation.


Grossular garnet.

Hematite.

I believe that this is citrine.

And then these amazing, scary things.  I think they are called mollusks.

These things are large.

A little blurry because it is under glass.

To think these things were alive and crawled around freaks me out.  Of course, bugs freak me out too.

And a large dinosaur bone.

If you live or drive through Humboldt County CA and you like gems and minerals, take Highway 101 to Chapman's Gems and Minerals. You will not be disappointed.

No comments: