Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Museum of Natural History

To continue on about my trip to NY, while I was there I went to the Natural History Museum. I hadn't been there since I was a kid. It was packed the day I went because it was saturday and rainy outside. This took away from it being really fun because you had to dodge so many people. But I am glad I went anyway.

So of course, it seems everyone starts at the top floor which is the dinosaur exhibit. It is pretty cool there. Here are just a few picks from that exhibit.




I tried to take more photos but the Museum was either too dark, too crowded to take a picture, or the specimen was in an acrylic case and there was too much glare in the photo. Oh well.

One of the best exhibits for me was the mineral and gem exhibit. This included one large room and small rooms that housed many, many samples of gemstones. I was in heaven! I took many photos but I do not remember what the specimens were. I apologize.



These first 3 photos are of labradorite. It was a beautiful, large chunk of stone.



As you can probably guess, amethyst, a large, lovely chunk of amethyst.


A nice size chunk of gold.


Some type of quartz?


Rose quartz?

And this one I really am not sure of.

This room was cool. If you get a chance to go there, take a look. You will not be disappointed.

No comments: