Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ten Most Famous Diamonds in the World

I recently saw this article on the website named Smashing Tops and I thought it was very interesting and so I wanted to share it on my blog, since I share about gems all the time. I do not know who the author is.  If anyone knows, I would like to know too so I can give credit to them.

It is about the ten most famous diamonds in the world.  The article is interesting and the photos gorgeous.  I am going to share one beautiful diamond per post.  So stay posted.

The first diamond is... 

The Hope Diamond
hope diamond

The Hope Diamond is not only one of the most famous gems in the world, but it is also one of the largest blue diamonds (4th largest). It’s physical value might be estimated but it’s historical importance is priceless. It is so old that no one knows exactly when it was discovered. However, it already had an owner in 1668, in the person of an Indian slave who claimed that the 112 carats stone (which he believed to be a sapphire) came from the eye of an idol. Jean Baptiste Tavernier, a traveler and a gem merchant bought it and sold it afterwards to King Louis XIV of France. Its price today is estimated at $250 million. The legend says that this diamond was cursed by the Hindu priests of the temple from where it was stolen.

Hope you find these posts as interesting as I do.


No comments: